Overview: The Physician Documentation Assistant (PDA) program launched
in 2009 at Sentara Leigh Hospital to provide undergraduate pre-health
professional students with an opportunity to gain hands-on experience in
the emergency department (ED) by documenting the events of a patient’s
visit. It has since expanded to six other EDs in the Hampton Roads, VA
area: Sentara Princess Anne ED, Sentara Norfolk General ED, Sentara
Obici ED, Sentara BelleHarbour ED, Sentara Virginia Beach ED and Sentara Independence ED (formerly Sentara Bayside ED).
Members of the PDA program are committed to efficiently completing electronic medical charts with the goal of providing more complete and comprehensive documentation; thus maximizing a physician’s productivity and enabling the physician to devote more time to patient care.Job Description
- Position located in an ED in the Hampton Roads, VA area.
- Responsible for quickly yet efficiently documenting pertinent portions of a patient’s electronic medical record.
- Accompany the emergency physician into exam rooms and document the History of Present Illness (HPI or H&P), Review of Systems (ROS), and Physical Examination
- Document Progress Notes, Critical Care Notes, Procedures, Consults, and Disposition as dictated by the emergency physician
- Paste Radiological results into the electronic medical record and ensure that all lab results are present as well.
- Knowledge: Preferred completion of at least undergraduate level Anatomy and Physiology. Working knowledge of medical terminology. An understanding of the importance of patient confidentiality in the interest of the patient, facility, and PDA program. Proficiency of basic computer and writing skills is required.
- Experience: No previous medical experience is required, but is a plus.
- Competencies: Effective communication and proficient typing skills.
- Other requirements: Must have interest in the medical field. Commitment to working for at least 1 complete year. Mature and self-motivated personality. Personal transportation to and from all hospitals.
- Paid Compensation
- College Credit *
- First-hand exposure to patient care
- Fantastic experience for aspiring pre-professionals (physicians, nurses, physician assistants (PAs), nurse practitioners (NPs), etc.)
* To receive college credit, please speak with your school advisor. Credits can range from 1-3 per hour depending on the hours worked.
Disclaimer: Members of the PDA program believe in Equal Opportunity, thus hire applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, age, disability, religion, or political affiliation.